Easy product returns
You can return the product without providing a reason within 14 days.
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is an Ayurvedic herb used in traditional Indian medicine. This plant has significant effects on the nervous system, relieves stress and reduces anxiety and depression.
The Ashwagandha extract stimulates breathing, causes smooth muscle relaxation, stimulates the thyroid and the secretion of cortisol and testosterone. It is especially recommended to people living under pressure, feeling anxiety, and for active sportspeople. There is no research that shows unwanted side effects of the supplementation of the Ashwagandha extract.
Underage people, pregnant women, breastfeeding women and people who take drugs should consult with a doctor or a pharmacist before using the product.
The Foods by Ann Ashwagandha extract contains 5% withanolides. This is the maximum allowable limit in Poland.
Ashwagandha - an Indian nerve-soothing plant
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is an Ayurvedic herb used in traditional Indian medicine. Its strong effect on the nervous system causes that it is also used in modern medicine. Although the plant has had versatile applications for centuries, it has been relatively recently that scientists have cofirmed its medicinal properties. The research shows that ashwagandha has significant effects on the nervous system, relieves stress, reduces anxiety and depression, is an antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties. It was also observed that the extract of this plant can improve sportsperson’s performance.
The effects on the nervous system and cognitive functions.
One of the most important effects of the ashwagandha extract is nervous system modulation connected with reducing anxiety and antidepressant properties. Animal studies show that it is also effective in terms of supporting patients with such neurodegenerative diseases as Parkinson's disease or Alzheimer's disease. Patients taking ashwagandha experience the improvement of cognition functions and feel that the progression of some symptoms slows down. Additionally, the plant is used as a painkiller and an antipyretic.
Fight with stress
Ashwagandha is one of the most common sedatives used in India. Extracts of this plant have a similar activity to gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), what gives tranquilizing and calming effects. We also know that the supplementation can reduce short-term stress and symptoms of chronic stress. The animal model studies showed that ashwagandha has very similar effects to ginseng, but does not have side effects which are sometimes connected with the ginseng supplementation.
Extracts of Withania Somnifera are strong antioxidants, however, their part in the neutralzation of free radicals is emphasised in particular with reference to the nervous system. The brain and nervous system are relatively more susceptible to damage caused by free radicals as they contain a lot of lipids (especially unsaturated ones) and iron. Such a structure prediposes to generate reactive oxygen species which take part in aging processes and neurodegenerative diseases.
Ashwagandha in sport
Ashwagandha is a member of a family of herbs called adaptogens. Thanks to many active ingredients, they help to regulate metabolism and maintain biological balance when the functioning of the body is distorted due to physical and mental stress symptoms. Recently, adaptogens have started to be treated as potential supplements boosting sportspeople’s perfomance. Ashwagandha has a wide range of pharmacological effects: it has anti-anxiety, hypotensive, nerve-soothing, immunomodulatory, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anabolic and antioxidant properties. It also stimulates breathing, causes smooth muscle relaxation and stimulates the thyroid. The studies also show that the plant is connected with reducing the cortisol level and increasing the testosterone level. The properties of ashwagandha can improve sportsperson’s performance as physical activity (especially intensive one) is regarded as a form of stress. The research conducted on a group of 57 young men showed that the supplementation of ashwagandha was connected with a significant increase in muscle and strength, what suggests that it can be especially effective in terms of strength sports.
Ashwagandha has such health-promoting properties as anti-infalmmatory properties, increases sexual performance and has anti-aging properties. The studies also show that the supplementation of ashwagandha can have a positive effect on osteoporosis treatment and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Pratte MA, Nanavati KB, Young V, Morley CP. An Alternative Treatment for Anxiety: A Systematic Review of Human Trial Results Reported for the Ayurvedic Herb Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2014;20(12):901-908.
- Wankhede S, Langade D, Joshi K, Sinha SR, Bhattacharyya S. Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2015;12:43.
- Singh N, Bhalla M, de Jager P, Gilca M. An Overview on Ashwagandha: A Rasayana (Rejuvenator) of Ayurveda. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary, and Alternative Medicines. 2011;8:208-213.
- Narinderpal K, Junaid N, Raman B. A Review on Pharmacological Profile of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha). Research & Reviews: Journal of Botanical Sciences. 2013;2:4.
- Bhattacharya SK, Muruganandam AV. Adaptogenic activity of Withania somnifera: an experimental study using a rat model of chronic stress. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003;5:547-555.
- Ichikawa H, Takada Y, Shishodia S, Jayaprakasam B, Nair MG, Aggarwal BB. Withanolides potentiate apoptosis, inhibit invasion, and abolish osteoclastogenesis through suppression of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) activation and NF-kappa B-regulated gene expression. Mol Cancer Therap. 2006;75:1434-45.
How to use: Take 1 capsule a day.
Contraindications: Allergy to any product ingredient.
Precautions: The maximum allowable limit of this supplement in Poland is 200 mg. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. Product for adults. Breastfeeding and pregnant women should consult with a doctor before use. The product cannot be used as a substitute for a healthy diet. It is important to lead a healthy lifestyle and have a balanced diet.
Servings per container: 60 capsules (60-day use).
Storage: Protect from sunlight. Store at 25ºC in a dry place. Keep out of the reach of children.
- http://www.enaonline.org/files/artikel/205/JANA Vol.11_May 31 2008.pdf
1 capsule DAY
|Ekstrakt Ashwagandhy KSM-66® (Withania somnifera):|