Easy product returns
You can return the product without providing a reason within 14 days.
Schisandra chinensis is a plant that has been used in Eastern medicine for centuries. It has adaptogenic properties, thanks to which, it enhances body resistance to physical as well as mental stress effects. It increases the serotonin level (commonly known as happiness hormone), what translates into its antidepressant and relaxing properties.
Schisandra increases the level of glutathione which is one of the strongest antioxidants produced in our body. Thanks to that, it has hepatoprotective properties, which means that it protects the liver against damage caused by toxic agents in the environment as well as improves immunity. Its supplementation is beneficial to body endurance, therefore, it can be recommended to physically active people who want to increase the intensity of their workouts. What’s more, Schisandra chinensis boosts libido.
Schisandra chinensis - the Far East fruit
Schisandra (Schisandra chinensis) has been used in the Far East medicine for centuries. Its fruits are small dark red berries . Although schisandra has been known for centuries, the knowledge about it has relatively recently come to Europe and the Americas. The first monograph about schisandra fruits was published in the American pharmacopoeia in 1999. Schisandra has strong hepaprotective properties, supports antioxidant systems and helps to treat cardiovascular diseases and obesity.
S. Schinensis fruits have many and still not fully known chemical constituents. The main bioactive compounds are specific lignans which are a group of polyphenols. The most important ones are dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans. The berries contain numerous essential oils, chlorogenic acid, coumaric acid, hydroxybenzoic acid and salicylic acid. It was also proved that they contain flavonoids, e.g. hyperoside, isoquercetin, rutin and quercetin. Moreover, S. chinensis berries are rich in polysaccharides and monosaccharides (glucose, fructose, arabinose and galactose), vitamins (C and E), phytosterols (stigmasterol, β-sitosterol), organic acids (citric acid, malic acid, fumaric acid and tartaric acid) and bioelements (Ca, Mg, Fe, Mn, B, Zn, Cr, Ni, Cu, Co).
Bioactive compounds - dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans.
Dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans are a large group of chemical compounds of various mechanisms of action which determine medicinal properties of this plant. These mechanisms include: blocking calcium channels, decreasing the level of liver enzymes - alanine transaminase (ALT) and aspartate transaminase (AST), inhibiting cyclooxygenase 1 and 2 (COX-1 and COX-2) and reducing the secretion of proinflammatory cytokines.
Effects on the liver
The hepaprotective activity is one of well-described properties of the Schisandra chinensis extract. It is mainly based on the presence of bioactive dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans. The studies proved that these lignans have the effect on liver regeneration, especially on regeneration after damage connected with oxidative stress. These substances increase the amount of glutathione which is the most important antioxidant enzyme in cells and reduce lipid peroxidation.
Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
A lot of bioactive compounds in S. chinensis have high antioxidant potential. The animal studies confirmed that the extracts protect liver tissue, the heart and the central nervous system against oxidative damage. The newest research shows that, thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity, schisandrin B (one of lignans) alleviates cardiac dysfunction caused by doxorubicin. Anti-inflammatory properties are connected with inhibiting the effects of nitric oxide (NO) and the production of proinflammatory prostaglandins and cytokines.
Schisandra and lifestyle diseases
The extracts of S. chinensis berries and dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans they contain can support the treatment and prevention of such cardiovascular diseases as hypertension and myocardial infarction. These extracts show protective activity by controlling many signal transduction pathways engaged in various biological processes, e.g. contractility of blood vessels, fibrosis, inflammation, oxidative stress and apoptosis. The extracts also inhibit the differentiation of preadipocytes and adipogenesis, what resulted in losing weight and body fat in high-fat diet obese rats. A lot of research also proves that the plant can support us in the treatment of infections as it has antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Szopa A, Ekiert R, Ekiert H. Current knowledge of Schisandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill. (Chinese magnolia vine) as a medicinal plant species: a review on the bioactive components, pharmacological properties, analytical and biotechnological studies. Phytochemistry Reviews. 2017;16(2):195-218. doi:10.1007/s11101-016-9470-4.
- Hu D, Yang Z, Yao X, et al. Dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans from Schisandra chinensis and their inhibitory activity on NO production in lipopolysaccharide-activated microglia cells. Phytochemistry. 2014;104:72–78.
- Thandavarayan RA, Giridharan VV, Arumugam S, et al. Schisandrin B prevents doxorubicin induced cardiac dysfunction by modulation of DNA damage, oxidative stress and inflammation through inhibition of MAPK/p53 signaling. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0119214.
- Chun JN, Cho M, So I, et al. The protective effects of Schisandra chinensis fruit extract and its lignans against cardiovascular disease: a review of the molecular mechanisms. Fitoterapia. 2014;97:224–233.
- Park HJ, Cho JY, Kim MK, et al. Anti-obesity effect of Schisandra chinensis in 3T3-L1 cells and high fat diet-induced obese rats. Food Chem. 2012;134:227–234.
- Thandavarayan RA, Giridharan VV, Arumugam S, et al. Schisandrin B prevents doxorubicin induced cardiac dysfunction by modulation of DNA damage, oxidative stress and inflammation through inhibition of MAPK/p53 signaling. PLoS One.
How to use: Take 1 capsule a day.
Contraindications: Allergy to any product ingredient.
Precautions:The maximum allowable limit of this supplement in Poland is 200 mg. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. Product for adults. Breastfeeding and pregnant women should consult with a doctor. The product cannot be used as a substitute for a healthy diet. It is important to lead a healthy lifestyle and have a balanced diet.
Servings per container: 60 capsules (60-day use).
Storage: Protect from sunlight. Store at 25ºC in a dry place. Keep out of the reach of children.
1 capsule DAY
|Schisandra extract 4:1:|